Friday 12 August 2016

Noble cavalry charges... Or not.



As I've talked about before my original plan was to go for a GoT Lannister themed army that I could use in 9th age before I quickly got sidetracked down the historical path. 

Not to worry, I thought to myself, the box of mounted knights and men at arms I've found can easily be used for any Medieval English army. 

Yeah, that's not a thing. 

Historical accuracy. This is a big thing for a lot of historic war gamers and something I ran into very quickly. Turns out the picture I had In my head of a majestic charge by mounted Knights across the battlefield a la the Olivier Henry V is not a thing, or at least not a thing so much for the English. This has led to a bit of a re evaluation of my army planning for this period at least. I'd accumulated a bunch of mounted and on foot Normans as well which I intended to use as mounted sergeants or hobilars and general infantry in the same army but quickly realised the shields and armour used very much marked them out as being from a different period. 

New plan. 

It seems that by and large, and with a bit more reading, much the same army as you can see above can be used for both medieval, Agincourt period armies and also war of the roses stuff as well with the cunning use of more specific troop types for the roses period, Bill men and the like based around the same core of men at arms and archers. Success! One army, two periods of gaming with some minor tweaks. 

The Normans, in case you were wondering are going are going to get formed into a crusades army instead, as well as getting used for SAGA, so they're not going to waste. 

If you remember  from a couple of posts back I was trying to work out what periods to play and collect and, in light of the above, trying to keep at least a semblance of historical accuracy...

A decision has been made. I seem to have the start of the armies mentioned above, IE, English medieval / Yorkist war of the roses as there can be a lot of crossover (if I don't glue the banners I can swap and change these in depending on what I need); first crusade English using the Normans I've accumulated; republic Romans, English napoleonic and royalist ECW. I figure this gives me a good spread across most of the common periods played by people and let's me use most of the models I've collected. I'm not the type of person who particularly cares about the right epaulette or hat style for the requisite regiment but I figure this will at least let me play in periods were my armies will at least be recognisable as the forces they're supposed to represent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment