Friday 5 August 2016

Bending the Rules



Last time I talked a little about what got me here and what this blog is about. This time I'm going to start to talk about rules and the surprises I've had along the way.

I've mainly played GW games up to now, 40K and lately 30K, Warhammer Fantasy and a little Age of Sigmar and I've picked up some warmahordes stuff along the way too. This is before we get into the various card games and board games that I play with the family.

How different can it be I thought as I started to look around for a ruleset that I could use for my great GoT plan. That was my first mistake. After a great deal of digging about I stumbled upon a whole load of PDF versions of what seem to be a lot of the main systems: Field of Glory, Impetus, DBA, Saga, the various Warlord Games books (although I bought a hard copy of Hail Caesar) and some slightly more obscure titles I found along the way. I'm a sucker for a rulebook, especially one with plenty of eye candy and examples for my painting.


...and that was it. My grand plan was out of the window and I knew that historic was the way forward for me.

So now what? Well I still haven't settled on a ruleset as of yet but I'm swinging towards Hail Caesar for my ancients and medieval, Saga, Sharp Practice and Lion Rampant for my smaller war band type games, Pike and Shotte and Black Powder (yep, I've picked up some Napoleonic and ECW as well). I also want to find a copy of The Pikeman's Lament from Osprey and 1644 but I'm struggling with finding copies of those that aren't massively expensive at the moment. This has in itself led to a new quandary around basing and army building but we'll look at that next time.



Things I've learned:

1. So. Many. Rules. Some are really easy to get hold of, a lot are not.

2. I really need to settle on a system (or at least a system per period) and stop flitting around.

6 comments:

  1. Welcome to the insanity, I look forward to following your progress. Pikeman's Lament is not out yet, but I understand the basic mechanics will be similar to Lion Rampant. And there's also a Napoleonic version called Eagle Rampant that was published in Wargames Illustrated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Henry! That would explain why I've not been able to find a copy yet! I like the idea of the small scale skirmish games as it means I can at least get some games in while I build my armies up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the insanity. There's no going back now!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the insanity. There's no going back now!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Certainly doesn't seem to be! I've got my head buried in the Internet at the moment looking up ECW royalist colours so I can make sure I'm painting accurately.

    ReplyDelete